I’m not sure if it’s due to the slightly chillier summer weather here, my love of fall clothes, or my recent obsession with 90’s style (see my last post on crop tops) but I have grown enamored with over the knee socks. Not only are they stylish, cute, and dare I say it – a little bit sexy, but they can also help to keep you warm all year round. So how does one wear over the knee socks without looking like a school girl or a tart? I am still in the process of testing my socks out with different outfits but here are some things I’ve learned along the way:
1) Wear them with confidence. This is a general style rule but I find it particularly important when wearing over the knee socks. I consider over the knee socks to be a fairly bold statement piece, and as a result, it’s important to own them.
2) Opt for flat shoes instead of heels. Heels can take the look from cute and casual to juvenile and lady of the night. Try a pair of oxfords, penny loafers, brogues, or ankle boots instead (with ankle boots a bit of a platform or a chunkier heel can work as well.) Tall boots also look great if they have a flat heel and just a bit of your sock is peeking out over top.
3) Sport a more conservative top. Since you want to show off your socks, over the knee socks are normally paired with shorter skirts and dresses. As a result, I try not to wear mine with anything too tight or revealing.
4) Don’t wear them too high up on your thigh. Just a bit above the knee will do the trick.
5) Layer, Layer, Layer. Don’t be afraid to layer your socks over a pair of sheer tights. This is actually one of my favorite ways to wear them and can help to create visual interest in an outfit.
6) Less is more. As mentioned above I consider over the knee socks to be somewhat of a statement piece. As a result, if I am wearing patterned clothing I tend to pick a more neutral sock. However, if you’re wearing neutral clothes it can be fun to pick a more adventurous pair of socks (think argyle and other fun patterns in different colors.)
I created a look on Polyvore above to demonstrate one way to wear over the knee socks and the exact items can be found below. What do you guys think of this trend? Will you be wearing over the knee socks anytime soon or sticking to basic tights and ankle socks? Let me know in the comments below.